Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Writing Day 9


2300 Words
16635 Total

The book is starting to really take shape now.  Even though the idea has been burbling in my brain for years, I never really sat down to attack it.  Now that I'm writing it, I am having ideas and needing to write notes and things I need to expand upon.  The questions I had years ago are getting answered.  Interesting turns and twists are forming and I feel good about them.  I'm excited to see where they take me.


Now for your excerpt:

Thursday night rolled in and with Gabe gone, Samantha started to feel anxious again.  Just to be safe, she kept a glass of water on her nightstand and some aspirin.  She also got a folding knife out of the nightstand drawer and put it on top where it would be within reach.  It had been a gift from her Father, along with a container of mace when she started going to school in New York.  He wanted her to be safe, but like the pendant, the fact she had them made her feel more secure and confident when she walked down the street.  Nothing had ever happened to her in the city, even on late night rides on the subway from friend's places.  Sure, she felt nervous and anxious from time to time - you would be an idiot to think it was impossible for something to happen to you as you walked alone through a city at night.  Just by sheer math and percentages, the chances of getting mugged, or raped or killed were high, but Samantha had been one of those lucky people who had never had to deal with that.  She kept her level of stupid low too - so no walking down dark alleys, she kept her eyes and eyes open and never wore earbuds as she traveled, her phone was always in her pocket within easy reach and she never carried an obvious purse with her.  It and always been either a backpack or the wallet she still had with its chain in her back pants pocket.  And of course, there was the folding knife and mace.

I am trying to find interesting parts that aren't giving too much away so I'm sorry if this all seems vague still.

No comments: