Saturday, February 22, 2014

Writing Day 21


Words 1692
Total 37,965

I can honestly say, today was one of those days that I didn't feel like writing.  Not because I didn't know what to write, but I was just feeling bleh about doing it.  Obviously, I did write, or else I'd have to answer to all of you about not having done my work today!  That's partly why I do this blog every other day, so that I have to answer to someone rather than just depend on myself to keep up on it.  I do better when I'm accountable to people other than myself.

So whenever I get bleh, I just think, "Ugh... people following this blog are going to be all, 'what the hell!' and I don't want to deal with that."  Which works well enough to get me to sit down and type.  And I have gifs like this one to keep me at my writing:

I cannot refuse Sherlock.
While the goal is 50,000 words, I know I am going to be well over that because I can see my progress along the chart and I know there is more to come than what I can see will happen.  I'm following the course laid out by the kit's book - we're not supposed to look ahead so I'm being good and not doing that.  I'm a sucker for following instructions.  Its my backup plan in case things go wrong or don't work, because then I can say, "I did exactly what it told me to do!"  It works well when putting furniture together too.

Anyway...

Here is today's snippet:

They found a place to park and got out into air that was crisp and beneath leaves that were hues of gold with ground that was a carpet of fire tones.  It was beautiful and Samantha felt a sense of renewal go through her as she took in a deep breath of fresh air with a lingering smell of fresh earth that made her think of days waiting for the school bus when she was little.  Autumn was always a time of new beginnings to her.  It was when the new school year would start and when the Jewish New Year would fall, so it held more of a promise of days to come than New Year’s eve.

Foxglove happily trotted about, sniffing everything she could and then peeing on it shortly thereafter to mark it as her territory.  While Gabe walked her around, Steve and Samantha took out water bottles and some cereal bars to eat.  She would have loved some coffee, but this would have to do.  “This was a great idea,” she said between bites.

He grinned, “I’m smarter than I look.”


No comments: