Saturday, February 15, 2014

Writing Day 13


Words: 1920
Total: 23,883

Thirteen is supposed to be unlucky, but I'm feeling pretty good.  As I said last time, I feel like I'm heading up the hill and getting to the point where the excitement should start.  I have a lot of ideas and now trying to integrate them is the challenge.  I'm also wondering how much of the 'reveals' I've had would be a surprise to anyone.  I mean, they seem obvious to me, but then, I know the truth so its hard to know how they are going to read to an outside audience.  I'm also not sure about the pacing, but I'm not worried too much about that right now.

Neil Gaiman, the man behind that hand!
At this point, I'm just following the process as I've been instructed to by the book and just writing.  Its interesting to me where certain things are coming in and where influences are happening.  I know I am influenced by Neil Gaiman who is my favorite writer - there is such a great ease to his words, an effortlessness that makes his work a joy to read.  I am also apparently bringing in some Japanese horror manga...  Which might be apparent to those that read the excerpt I've put in today.

But part of that is being creative.  We take in the world around us and we interpret what we experience.  I'm feeling a little better about writing, but I really don't know if what I'm writing is worth anything... which probably makes me a writer... right?  Well, anyway, here is today's excerpt for your enjoyment:

Over her shoulder in the mirror, she noticed one of the stall doors open and a woman came out.  She hadn't realized anyone had been in the bathroom besides her and she hoped the woman hadn't heard her talking to herself.  With long hair covering her face, it was hard to know what the lady heard or showed signs of hearing so Samantha tossed the paper towel into the hole cut in the counter top and turned to leave.  That was when she was suddenly five feet from where she had been standing and slammed into the wall.

The air was thrust out of her lungs, leaving her heaving and fish gaping desperately while through the blurriness of her vision she made out the dark from of the woman.
What the hell…? Was she being mugged?  "…Please--" she coughed out, noticing that her feet weren't touching the ground.  The woman's hands were against Samantha's chest, holding her in place and pressing against her.  In no time, those hands would crack her ribs and then kill her as her heart and lungs were pierced and crushed.  The long hair now looked lanky and stringy, like it had been dipped in oil and as her face moved closer, Samantha saw pits where her eyes should have been in a corroded face.  The scream that should have formed was lost with the air she was desperate for and she shoved her hands at her attacker.  Beneath her palms was the initial solid form of a body, but then it gave… Her hands were being soaked into the greasy flesh.

No comments: