Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Writing Day 3


1750 words
5375 total

Hey, look, I'm writing... 

So, the book convinced me that I'd have trouble around the middle of this book with some writing blocks and such, but to be honest, my second day was pretty rough.  I had a good beginning I thought, but then the next step to get to the next point was pretty hard.  I managed it and got through my 3rd day of writing.  I forced myself to just keep going and see where things took me and that appeared to work pretty well.  So, writing block - BE GONE!

 

I know the basis of the story and I have some scenes in my head forming now, but as of this moment, most of this is stream of conscious.  Its meandering a lot, but I'm just trying to keep writing and reach my word goals per day if not more.  The work is just a lump of clay and I'm adding more clay as I go, forming rough parts that are sort of representing something.  After I have the basic shape, I can go back and refine it all (I suspect there will be a lot of refining), but it feels like a bit of a mess.

Still, better to keep at it than get myself bogged down too much.  This isn't the first time I've written something before, but I usually have a clearer idea of things.  While I have solid story idea, the specifics are being difficult.  

Here is another segment for you to peruse....

Standing by the massive copier in the back, Samantha watched as copy after copy shot out of the back end, slowly filling the tray up with a listing of a special menu that the Sweet Spoon was having for a big singles night.  It was actually the restaurant to the other side of Aeron's Print and Copy.  She was staring at the copies as they piled up till Rachel came by and ran a hand in front of the dark haired girl's face, "Helloooooo,"

Blinking, Samantha 'woke up' from her day dreaming and blushed slightly as she offered a sheepish grin, "Sorry… Did you need me or something?"

"No, but you were definitely not here with us."

"Yeah, sorry, I have no idea where the hell I've been today.  Just having a weird day, you know?" She had no intention of describing why she as having a weird day or what happened, that was for sure.  Rachel was nice and sweet, but she and Samantha weren't close friends.

"Oh, I know.  I've had more than a few weird days myself." She headed to the other machine to check out a page she had just printed.

"I doubt anything like I've had this morning…" Samantha muttered to herself as the last copy spit out.  After lifting the pile from the tray, she walked to the center counter area and boxed the copies up.  Roger already had a bill printed out so she taped that to the top of the box and then carried the box to Cyril, "Hey, can you do me a favor and take this over to Missy next door?"

He looked up from his computer and gave a slight frown, "Can't you do it?"

"I could, but it looks like its drizzling out there."

"Its right next door…" Cyril now leaned back in his chair and stared at the ceiling with his arms flopped down, "Come on…"

"Cyril, I have curly hair, I have enough trouble dealing with it when its dry outside.  The last thing I need is to get it wet.  Even a little bit."

"Fiiiine."  He hopped from the chair and took the box from her before heading outside.

It was a bold faced lie that she didn't want to get her hair wet.  There was an awning over the front of the copy shop and in front of Sweet Spoon.  The time she'd be exposed to any rain was a second or two between awnings and the chances of that completely ruining her hair were pretty slim.  The truth was, she did not want to leave the shop again if she didn't have to.


No comments: