Friday, March 21, 2008

Wis-ettes

So, I am tending to feel better about myself and my life.  I attribute this to a few things though I'm not going to go into some long winded story about it.  The effect of my mental state though, makes me feel like some new age preacher when I see people who are down or depressed or just thinking about a difficult choice.  I don't want to sound that way, but like anyone who has a break through or something that they feel has helped them, they want to share it with the world and make them see the light too.

Now, my life isn't perfect, but its getting better and I believe it will be good.  I know I have issues still and no, I'm not miss mary sunshine all the damn day.  But I feel hopeful and I think that's something. 

The past few days a few people have come to me speaking about being down or unhappy and I hear myself start dropping those 'pearls of wisdom'.  Today I realized, I'm only giving advice based on my small piece of life and calling it 'wisdom' seemed wrong.  I can't pass on my 'wisdom'... but I can pass on my 'wis-ettes' or little bits of wisdom.  ((I should note, the word 'wis-ette was born in a restaurant in NJ over roast beef sandwiches))  I only hope that my wis-ettes don't annoy the hell out of people.  I know that in my.... darker moments... people who tried to give me words of wisdom annoyed me because in my head it was just "It's not THAT simple you idiot!" or "Easy for YOU to say".  And that's right - its not that simple and it is easy for me to say... but yeah, I don't want to be some person that tells people, "Think happy thoughts and a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." All I can give are my wis-ettes and hope it helps in some small way.

In more art related news, tomorrow I am going to start an experiment. It will be the first day of my Painting A Day trial.  I'll only be doing it for a week.  It would have been a month, but then I realized that I would be away next month visiting my brother and wouldn't be able to do it for the whole month!  And I would like to do this before I go to Balticon in May.  The plan for the week is for me to do, a painting a day.  I will be focusing on oil painting.  I don't think the paintings will all be full bang zoom paintings as I haven't really touched oils since college, but it is a good way for me to get into it again.

I will post the pictures each day and put them on here - I will also hopefully figure out how to do that.  *scratches head* I'm still not fully sure how this will work, but let's cross our fingers shall we?


1 comment:

Mike said...

You once gave me the wis-ette to just take a step and move in a direction, didn't matter what direction, when I was feeling really stuck.

It really was just as simple as you said, it just took me a little bit to figure that out. Thanks! :)