Saturday, March 22, 2008

Painting a Day - Day 1

Ok.... I DID do a painting today and I took a digital photo of it.  Unfortunately I cannot find the wire that connects the camera to the computer so I can get the image to the internet.  Frustration is too weak a word right now to describe how I feel about that.  I will try and scan it in tomorrow - its an oil painting and I don't want to smear it or get it on the scanner glass.  I'll figure it out.  Tomorrow I have to do another painting so hopefully between now and then, I'll find that wire.

I feel really good about the painting - not because its good and is pretty much the way I wanted it to be, but because I haven't touched oil paints since college and it was great painting with them again.  And I have to admit, there is something about the smell of oils.  Now, I'm using the Artisan Water Soluble oil paints.  The reason is that in my apartment, I don't feel comfortable having to use the toxic materials I would need to use with regular oil paints and its not big enough of a place to deal with the fumes.  I'm impressed though with how these oil paints work because they feel like normal oil paints and the water does work well.  The other plus is that washing my hands afterward is A LOT easier with this stuff.

I don't know how... archival it will be.  We'll see I guess. 

In the end though, I feel good.  The more comfortable I get with oils, the better I'll be able to move on to larger paintings and maybe do some projects I've wanted to do, but didn't think I could do.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hm, I have to look into those. I haven't painted in ages, sine moving really, mostly because I don't have any place to work with the wonderfully toxic stuff involved in oil painting. You say it smells like oil paint still? (That's one of the best parts for me, that wonderful oil paint smell!)

And I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you find that cable, I wanna see me some artz!