Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston...


For those that don't know about what happened today at around 2:50 p.m., bombs were set near the Finish Line of the Boston Marathon.  Two detonated.  As of my writing of this, no one has claimed responsibility for the bombing.  I do know the last mile was dedicated to the Newtown shooting victims.

John Tlumacki photo
I watched the coverage till about 5 p.m. my time when it went to local news and programing, but I knew I had to stop soon because I was becoming physically ill.  The illness wasn't from the graphic nature of the footage or blood or anything like that.  I was getting emotionally sick.  The last time that happened was over 10 years ago on September 11th - after watching the news well into the night, weeping and crying, I finally ran into the bathroom and threw up.  Seeing how I was feeling watching the Boston footage, I realized I was going down that road again.  

I know, all too well of the hate and anger that pervades this world.  And I know how that hate transforms into action and that action is almost always in the form of violence.  It makes me wonder if we should exist as a planet - are people worth having exist at all if this is what we do?  I do believe in G-d and I don't know if I can ask him to spare us if this is how we behave...  Are we worthy of saving?  

Then I have to look at the footage a different way.  I have to make myself watch the people and what they are doing.  I have to watch as the people run to help, that thousands of small acts of bravery and heroism are performed faster than the human mind can comprehend.  In the face of this one act of violence, thousands of acts of goodness happen, like a million stars illuminating a dark sky.  

Patton Oswalt wrote today: 

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."


Who knows what truth will be revealed as the news burrows into the story, finding facts or speculations that they will report at the drop of a hat.  The conspiracy theorists are already weaving their stories, casting blame on the government, or aliens, or Muslims or whatever flavor of the week they are eating.  The nut-jobs will probably say Boston deserved it because of gays, or Jews or interracial marriage or pro-choice activists.  I'm going to be annoyed and angered by what I'll be reading or watching over the next few days, weeks, months and years in regard to this tragedy.  Mostly I'll be saddened.

But at the end of the day, I'm going to remember the helpers.  As Mr. Rogers said: 


The helpers, the heroes big and small all went running towards where the explosions were.  The military, the officers, the volunteers, the runners, the simple people who put aside the thoughts of themselves and the danger they might be in and ran to help those who were hurt and injured.  We have to remember people like those in the bomb squad whose job it is to walk right up to the very thing that could kill them and handle it.  We have to remember the police officers who have to keep calm and run into action with their minds on what procedures they must follow, no matter how scared they might be.  We have to remember the medical staff who keep their heads as victim after victim are rolled in, at the same time as they offer compassion to the scared.  We have to remember the regular people who know, simply, to do the right thing.

While the quote is from a movie, it is so very appropriate,  

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." - Gandalph, The Hobbit 

We must hold onto these small acts and nurture them and instill the spark of them in our children.  If we can keep the little lights of kindness and love, we can illuminate the darkness and, I think, be worthy of this world we live in.

For those looking for loved ones, you can go through here: Google Person Finder

If you want to donate blood or figure out how to help the victims, you can go here: Red Cross aid and tips

No comments: