Sunday, November 18, 2012

Treasures Great and Small



While driving out and about, I decided to look into some of the small shops that exist around me that I have driven by repeatedly and looked at with interest.  One such place could be missed very easily, but really shouldn't be to those that enjoy making jewelry or are looking for unique beads and baubles to enhance their crafts or that are searching for some really beautiful and lovely hand made items: Bedazzler!

The front of the store could be missed if you don't know where it is, but it sits in downtown Overland Park, right on 80th st.

Walking in, I have been greeted by the friendly staff each time who are present enough to help, but not overly effusive or in your way.  You are free to walk around as much as you like and look at the items for sale and the handcrafted jewelry on display on the counter.  It can be almost overwhelming at first till you take some time to soak it in and see how things are set out to choose from. 

Near the entrance is a clipboard and a bead pallet for you to use as you shop.  You place your chosen beads on the pallet and write down on the piece of paper on the clipboard what you've picked up.  Then you are free to pick and choose what you want.  And there is a lot to choose from!

On the tables in the center of the store are trays upon trays of baubles, beads and findings.  Some are rather basic of course, but others look quite exotic and delicate.  There are also ear wires, clasps and other items to help accentuate your work.

Along the walls crystals, pearls and other beads hang in shimmering rows.  They are set up in an easy to browse sort of way so you can see each strand.  There are also rolls of chains as well, so don't think this is all just for beading.  In the back is a section of tools and they even sell gift boxes.  I do shop in Michaels, but I can find it a little hard to find what I'm looking for there, or the type of individual pieces that I'd really like for my jewelry.  This smaller shop offers a more interesting variety of bauble and things that not everyone is going to be able to get.  And I like to support the small shops and businesses.

I picked up a few things today - some were more of the horns I got the first time I was there, along with metal bookmarks and some keys.  Considering how much reading I've been doing lately, creating some interesting bookmarks sounded like a good way to go.  Once I have them created, I'll post them on here and my Facebook page, along with my etsy shop for sale.

Bedazzler has coupons and classes that you can get access to via their website: http://beadazzlerbeads.com  And there are newsletters letting people knowing what's new and coming up.  

Its definitely worth a trip in there, even for a look around.  Who knows what it might inspire?

Sarah Nouveau by Elisse Hamu Heydt


Speaking of inspiring...  

For my first artist spotlight, I'd like to direct attention to some really great artwork by Elisse Hamu Heydt.  She's done a wonderful series of illustrations called Heroines Nouveau.  

These pieces are absolutely gorgeous and charming at the same time.  The style of them is reminiscent of cut and layered paper though they are digital, but the detail is just as exacting as the traditional style.  

On top of that, each piece is of a leading female character from a science fiction or fantasy movie from the 80's, giving a wonderful memory of those classic films that we grew up with: Not just live action movies, but animated ones as well.  Some might be a bit obscure, like Crystal from "Fern Gully", but most will recognize Lili from "Legend".  With their own details and filigree icons each one is a treat to see in the Art Nouveau style.

I've seen her post each one and been amazed at how she has made each detail that speaks of each heroine chosen - and all of them have been strong female characters that didn't have to rely on their looks or bodies to overcome their trials.  Definitely ladies to look up to!

Lili Nouveau by Elisse Hamu Heydt
The entire collection can be seen on her Deviant Art site here: http://kishokahime.deviantart.com/gallery/37161864

Sorsha Nouveau by Elisse Hamu Heydt


2 comments:

Raonaid Luckwell said...

Seen some of these up on pinterest. I remember seeing Sarah and The Last Unicorn (cannot spell her human name). Thought they were really neat. I never seen Lili and the Sorsha ones. That is awesome.

Georgia said...

You definitely have to check out the rest of her items on her Deviant Art site - its amazing!