Monday, December 29, 2008

Life and Death

Yesterday was my birthday. It was an OK day - nothing too exciting or out of the ordinary - though I got some nice messages on the phone by friends and family singing Happy Birthday. Thank you Uncle Art and Aunt Judy and thank you Mike and Mandy for that.

We went to the Bonefish Grill for dinner and as always, it was a really pleasant night with some really good Sangria.

It is strange sitting here now... to know how old I am and where my life has gone. I am determined to do things this year to start the next phase of my life and to make it something more. I have so much more in me than this! I can't lose my determination and dreams.

It is also difficult to sit here and think about those I have lost this year. A few days ago, another of my Aunts passed away. That will be three Aunts and an Uncle I have lost in one year, not counting the cousins of which I believe there were 2 or 3. All of them were from my Father's side of the family. He now only has one brother alive and that one is not in good health. This is the difficulty of being the youngest in a large family. And I know one day I may have to deal with this as well, being the youngest in my family. It is strange to know, that when I go overseas again, I will not see the faces I have always seen... the smiles I knew, feel the hugs or kisses that I once did. I try not to think about it too much because it would get overwhelming I think. Its just strange and sad.

With the new year, I know there will be other losses, but I know there will be new things... New challenges, opportunities and chances. I guess while I always resented having my birthday at the end of the year (it usually gets lost amid Chanukah, Christmas, New Years), this year I don't feel that way. It sort of wraps up 2008 for me in a good way and sets me up for 2009 and what is to come. Its been a rough couple of years and I'm ready for good things.

So... Happy New Year everyone. May 2009 be one of health, love, prosperity and creativity for all of us.

3 comments:

Mike said...

This is certainly a reflective post... I'm happy to see that in the end it's a positive one, though I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. I didn't know so many others from your Dad's side had died this year.

I've had years like that, with my Dad being so much older and having 8 siblings. I have only one Aunt left, and thankfully she seems to be in good health.

Let me know what I can do to help with the next phase of Georgia!

Unknown said...

I am glad that I will get to see you before we get too far into the new year. I'm looking forward to raising a glass with you to those we've lost, the people we have yet to meet and those who see us through our lives' endless changes.

Georgia said...

I haven't mentioned the loss of relatives since we hadn't been in touch that much Pooka. And I didn't want to talk too much about it because its hard to think about losing so many in such a short time. And I'll definitely let you know if you can help! :D

Kenneth, thank you, I'm really thankful we are all getting together and will be able to raise a glass together to usher in the new year. Even reading the emails among the group has made me smile so I know I will be smiling and laughing when we finally meet once more in person.