Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chanukah Challenge

First, I'd like to wish those celebrating, a very Happy Chanukah.  While I know it isn't one of the High Holidays, it is one that is special to me, because I really do love giving gifts. 

That sounds cheesy, I know, but its true.  My favorite moment is that one when I hand someone the gift I have chosen for them and they open it - the expression of unexpected surprise on their face which says, "I got it right".  I always try to find unique items that the receiver of the gift wouldn't expect - if its something they didn't ask for but didn't even know they wanted till they got it... Or maybe it is something they wanted but didn't realize someone else knew about it.

I love that simple joy. 

And it is cheesy.

I have good memories of Chanukah and some of them revolve around the time that my mother would take time to take each of us shopping for our siblings.  Certainly we would all go together at some point or another, but my mother would make a special day where we went, one on one with her to purchase the items we chose for each other.  It was great to have a special day with Mom who had to work often, but it was also fun to take time to figure out what to get my brothers.  At first Mom would have a list of things that we would get each other, but as we got older, we were able to pick and choose ourselves.

Tonight is the first night of Chanukah and I decided I was going to challenge myself and make a new piece of jewelry each night.  They aren't going to necessarily be holiday themed pieces, but I wanted to create something and I figured it was a good way to motivate myself.  Each item will immediately be put up for sale on my etsy site so you can purchase them if you want.  I won't think about the designs till the day I have to make them, so none of these will be planned out.  Hopefully being spontaneous will help me create something good!

I made earrings today that are Steampunk inspired.  Brass clock face earrings:






Check them out here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/117577395/brass-clock-face-silver-cog-and-bronze

If you like them, please head over to my etsy shop and pick them up! 

I have new jewelry in my shop and as mentioned in my last blog entry, I have other new items - cards, prints, bookmarks etc...  My special is still going on, so all items, no matter how many, ship across the U.S. for only 99 cents!  If you order now, they will arrive in time for Christmas!  So take advantage now! 


We'll see what I come up with tomorrow!

Stormwolf Studios on Etsy


No comments: